Monday, December 05, 2005

KC - Yorba Linda 02Dec2005

Well, I had my, as it turns out, only shot at playing Christmas songs at Borders on Friday (and my first solo gig at Yorba Linda), and it didn't work out anything like I'd hoped. I played and sang OK, but the crowd just wasn't into it/me. I got a little appreciation later on from a nice older lady and a pair of Asian Studyin' Girls, but mostly dead silence.

It may have been the sound -- I was using the store's amp, and I thought it sounded really good, but the recording is way over-reverb-ed, so I wonder if that's what it sounded like in the audience. If so, I can see why they seemed so underwhelmed. (The only song that came out half-usable was "When You Wish Upon a Star", which I put up on keithandwarren.com as the Song of the Week.) I really gotta figure out how to figure out what the sound sounds like to the audience.

The only real fun I had was the little Asian girl (7-ish?) who, although terribly shy, kept creeping over to listen. I played several songs just for her, 'cuz she was actually listening. Since I'd brought a stack of the new Christmas CDs, and nobody was taking/buying them, I gave one to the little girl -- or tried to. Although I told her mom that it was a Christmas present, I'm pretty sure she snuck over and put a fiver in the jar when I wasn't looking.

We've had at least one Really Good night at Yorba Linda, but this wasn't one of them. Oh, well. The Good Ones certainly make up for the Bad Ones.

No comments: