Tuesday, March 27, 2007

K&W at Costa Mesa - 23Mar2007

Pretty fun night. They tend to kick us out at 10:20 at that store, so we started really early so we'd have some decent time to play. Since it was so early, it started out really dead, but we got more and more people roped in as the night went by. By the end, we had more requests stacked up than the management would let us stay and fulfill, which felt pretty rude. Oh, well -- leave 'em wanting more, right?

Warren had his camera set up, and captured a *lot* of Pretty Good performances (15), despite the fact that we haven't played together in 6 weeks. He trims them down to a single tune per clip, and uploads 'em to YouTube, where you can watch 'em, if you want: Click here.

My voice was not nearly as strong as I've gotten used to it being -- I think the time off let it get "out of shape". Hopefully it'll get back on course 'cuz we have gigs for the next three weekends straight, then I have a campout (with gig), and then a solo gig. But I did OK, and played pretty good, and Warren had practiced the week before and played OK, too. And I didn't choke (too much) because of the camera, either.

Another odd thing happened: a guy asked us if our "Blue Spanish Sky" was the Chris Isaak one, and since it was, to play it, which we did. He wandered off briefly, and then reappeared and asked if he could "sing it with [me]". Ohhh kay, sure, why not? I gave him my headset, and he went into it -- and not bad. He was a lot looser with it than I am -- I think he was trying to "Chris Isaak" it up, with a lot more moodiness than, I think, this one actually has. Commendable attempt, but it was a bit beyond him (as Isaak is beyond almost all of us...)

No comments: