Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Keith at Yorba Linda -- 18Aug2007

Nice. Kinda quiet at first, but I slowly built up some rapport with the audience, and we were all pals by the end. It was actually kind of rewarding, because at first people were afraid to clap. Then some folks were clapping visibly, but not audibly. As we went on, they got braver and started clapping loud enough to be heard, which encouraged other people...

I didn't go too far out on a limb, but I did play "Still Crazy", (which I love to do (it's got great chords), though it doesn't seem to get much reaction), and some others. I've been playing "The Weight" a lot lately ('cuz it's good practice for strumming), so I thought I'd try that one out, but I ignored my marking of "capo 2" on the page, at my own peril. I wish Present Keith would trust Past Keith on this kind of thing, but I'd been playing and singing it all week with no capo, so I thought I knew what I was doing.

Unfortunately, I didn't, and I also forgot that my voice is just about exactly a whole-step higher when I'm in the café than when I'm at home. That includes being a whole-step "less low", and I was pretty bottomed out trying to sing that thing without the capo. *Now* do I believe me?!?

I also ended the night with "Then You Can Tell Me Goodbye", an underrated, oft-neglected classic that I think really works for me, though Warren seems bored to tears by it.

Towards the end, a little four-flock of Hispanic ladies -- all moms, daughters, and sisters -- came in and piled into the comfy chairs up close. They thought this/I was Pretty Cool, and were asking for whatever songs they recognized, mostly Willie Nelson and James Taylor. That was fun.

I usually put the tip jar kind of off and away from us/myself, to avoid making people uncomfortable coming up to it. Lately, though, it seems like maybe that "they can see me doing this" effect is helpful, not intimidating, so I put it right out front -- and made $23, a pretty good take for that place.

I hadn't even bothered to put the CD display out, 'cuz we haven't been selling any lately, and there's this controversy about the stores getting a cut, and I don't have many in "inventory" anyway. But as I was packing up, a guy asked me outright if I had any CDs with me, so I gave him one and he put some money in the jar for it. I don't think he put a ton of money in for it, though -- and I like it when the big tip totals seem to be summed from many small amounts, rather than a few people putting in big bills. Though big bills are nice, too...

No comments: