Friday, November 09, 2007

K&W at South Coast Plaza -- 03Nov2007

Terrific night! I love SCP -- good sound, and lately, good audience. I put the amp a little further away from myself than usual, so I could crank it up (per Warren's numerous requests) and not blow my own head off. That may have worked.

When I first got there, there was a lady in a comfy chair right where I needed to put the amp. I started setting up other things, stalling having to ask her to move, and she got the message and moved to one of the tables. I suddenly felt really bad about that -- it was pretty rude of me. I expected her to be resentful and not "join in", but she totally got into us, asking for songs, clapping loudly, smiling big. What a sweetie.

Also, a 20-something couple came in pretty close to the beginning, and she really thought I sounded like James Taylor, and wanted to hear more. Lots more. But right off the bat, she wanted to hear "Somewhere" from "West Side Story", which is pretty somber and emotional to be the third song of the night, but the customer is always right, so I did it anyway. And several more. I may have said this before, but it's *so* motivating to have someone really listening.

And, a couple of guys that we used to work with, peripherally, at Toshiba showed up and listened all the way through. They were pretty far to the back, but they were listening.

So, with all these Actual Listeners, I was really "on" -- pouring everything I had into each song. Makes it a lot more challenging, and a more fun, for me.

SCP is definitely The Place to come see us, if you're going to. The usually good audience, and always good acoustics really set me up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Right... a spectacularly good night all around. I found myself playing better than usual... because everything just sounded so good. Part of it was hearing your guitar better... it was 'up there' much more than usual (especially once I jacked the second speaker in!). I think we must had a few best-ever performances.

- WA