Wednesday, February 04, 2009

I'm "For Sale" again!

It's time for the annual auction to support the art programs at Geneva's high school, and since it worked out OK last year, we donated "An evening of music" (i.e., me, playing at your party) again. Last year, the minimum bid was $75, and one lady bid on me, and won. I guess the only thing more embarrassing than only getting one bid is not getting any bids.

Oddly though, this year they combined my donation with two others, a 12-pack of Cabernet, and a $100 gift card at an Italian restaurant. They're calling it "Insta-party... just add guests!" The Opening Bid is $150, which may or may not be the minimum ("reserve") winning bid -- experts disagree. If somebody can actually win the prize with a $150 bid, though... Seems like the $100 gift card is worth, say, about $100. And the wine's gotta be worth at least $50. That means that the guitar guy is worth exactly zip. Thrown in for free. Thanks for playing, here's your parting gift.

To illustrate the "item", they captured some pictures from the Keith & Warren webpage (including the partial image of Warren's guitar), and pasted on pictures of some lasagna and a wine bottle. Classy stuff.

It's been "open" for a little over 48 hours now, and they sent an email to everyone they know. So far, no bids. Seems to me like they priced the "package" out of range, and there won't be any bids. Suits me -- playing parties is always kind of weird (last year was a backyard pool party, kind of awkward really). If it doesn't sell at all, it's no loss for me -- I fulfilled my obligation to donate something -- but what are they gonna do with the other stuff?

No comments: