Monday, August 10, 2009

K&W at Irvine Spectrum -- 08Aug2009

I started the evening with a scratchy throat, and ended it with almost complete laryngitis. But it was a pretty fun night -- lots of people out, many of them friendly.

Had some teens that sat in for a long time -- the girls requested Disney tunes, and one of the guys was a big Cat Stevens fan, which had me dredging up all that I could find, including the recently revived but still unstable "Trouble". Warren's really fond if this one, though, so I guess I'll see if I can smooth out the rough spots in it with some practice.

It was also the first outing for Journey's 80's power ballad "Don't Stop Believing", which I'd'a never even considered but for its appearance in the new surprise-hit TV show pilot "Glee", and its evident popularity among the kids on our cruise a week ago. Works kinda OK as an acoustic number, and even better in Real Life, when I'm more liable to get to really pounding on my guitar than I am in the bedroom.

The second time through it, though, my throat was completely blown out (I should'a known better), and I had some pretty embarrassing cracks (to wild (ironic) applause from the teens) on the high note. Still, it's fast, loud, and fun -- something the act needs at times.

Oddly, despite the good response, it was pretty light, tip-wise. I still have no idea what makes a good or bad night in that regard. I haven't detected any kind of pattern at all. Guess I'll keep looking.

No comments: