Thursday, May 12, 2011

Keith at Irvine Spectrum -- Fri, 06May2011

A really surprisingly slow night. It seemed like there were hardly any actual adults out, and maybe that's exactly what it was - I guess the working folks are too tired to go out on a Friday. There were plenty of teens though, and I did all right with various clumps of them, but none of them stick around for very long, so I end up doing the same songs over and over.

At one point I had 5 or 6 little kids, but they were all *very* little (toddlers and preschoolers), so I tried out my fingerpicked and harmonized rendition of "Twinkle, Twinkle". That went over pretty well, but I'd forgotten about little kids' tendency to respond to something that they like with "Again!". It's a little embarrassing/weird to play it in the first place - I really don't want to play it all night long.

Hardly anyone was putting anything in the tip jar, but then a guy came over and asked for "I Only Have Eyes For You". While I was looking for the song sheet, he asked, "OK if I get change for a twenty out of here?". I said, "Sure", but then partway into the song it occurred to me that there probably wasn't enough money in the jar to make much "change". Nothing I could do about it but watch as he spent the whole song pulling ones out, and straightening, stacking, and counting them. I guess he found enough though, 'cuz there was $24, a twenty and four ones, in there when I got home. A very low "take" for Spectrum, but still way more than we ever pull in at a Borders gig. It'll buy a couple of iPad apps...

No comments: