Saturday, July 16, 2011

Keith at South Coast Plaza -- Fri, 15Jul2011

This is usually a monthly Keith & Warren gig, but Warren wanted to go join the crazies in the drum circle on the beach for the full moon, and who could blame him?

It was the usual quiet night at Borders, but it's been so long since I've played indoors that I had a great time just playing for myself.  And there were a few people listening, albeit quietly.  I had a little applause right at first, but once that library-silence sets in, it's tough to break through.

Indeed, I had anticipated the lack of response when I got there and decided to not even pass out the song lists -- just seemed like a waste of paper.  I had a stack available, though, for the few people who seemed interested enough to need one.  Like the lady who was looking for "some country", giving me a chance to play my newly-learned "Need You Now".

And a pair of young teenage girls who plopped down in the comfy chairs and asked for a couple of Beatle songs.  But after a while they seemed stymied by the all-unfamiliar songs on the list, so I confessed that I also knew "Baby", to which they squealed "We love Justin Bieber!"  I wasn't sure I really wanted to do it there in the quiet of the bookstore because it's meant to be loud, but I did it anyway, if a bit subdued.  They seemed quite pleased, and even dropped some of their hard-earned allowance in the jar on their way out.

Surprisingly, I made $40 -- quite a bit for a bookstore gig.  3/4 of that was a twenty and a ten, which had to be the 3 CD sales.  But I just had fun playing in the nice acoustics.

No comments: