Thursday, November 03, 2011

Keith at Irvine Spectrum -- 29Oct2011

My cold was a lot better, and I was looking forward to doing a Saturday night again, but it didn't go very well. For one thing, the stage was next to the loud main fountain again, so I couldn't hear myself.

And worse, the battery in the transmitter of my new wireless microphone was going dead. The fountain noise made me think that the sound wasn't really bad, it was just covered up, so it took me a long time to realize that the more and more muffled sound -- like when your ears won't pop it -- was only the mic, and not the guitar. I finally swapped the battery and it cleared right up. Hopefully, from now on I'll recognize that "need a new battery" sound.

But I played a lot of the night with terrible sound, and a terrible performance while I was distracted by it. Luckily, my brother, his wife, and a friend were there pretty early (while the sound wasn't so bad), and the last hour was OK after I found the problem. But I certainly wasn't connecting with the audience while the sound was so awful.

I had a pretty great Kids Party going early on, but the highlight of the night was when a mom encouraged her little daughter (7-ish) to get up and dance. She marched right up, spun around to face the audience, and started her dance, which was: feet planted, then right fist straight up with left hip shot out, and then left fist up and right hip out, back and forth like a pendulum. It was the Cutest. Thing. Ever. Her little bottom slamming back and forth and her little fists pumping up and down -- she had her Move, and she was stickin' to it. For the millionth time I wished I could operate a camera while I was playing guitar, but, sorry...

I didn't get to play "overtime" like usual, 'cuz the guys had to tear down the stage itself before they went home, so I got shut down at 10:15. I didn't sell any CDs at all, and only made $65, but I suppose with the bad sound and "short" time, I was lucky to get that much.

No comments: