Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Keith at Mount of Olives -- Wednesday, 18Feb2015

Played my now-monthly gig for the old folks at the senior day care. It went pretty much like last time -- they sit (mostly) politely while I play. Thigh-slap drummer guy was at it again, but at least not every darn song like last time.

I had a lot of embarrassing technical issues at the start. It's one thing to have to change out a battery when you're on a street corner, but another when 40 people are sitting, staring at you, and waiting. Right off the bat it was clear that the vocal was distorting, which is always the transmitter battery, so I swapped that. But then the guitar was also getting quieter and distorted -- so much so that the harmony box couldn't get a clear enough signal to tune from, nor create the right harmony vocal. I had to abandon harmonies in "Leaving on a Jet Plane", which sounded *really* weird without them.

I swapped out the battery that runs the guitar pickup and is mounted pretty inconveniently inside the guitar, but that didn't help. Only thing left was the battery in the "DI" box, but that's even harder to swap -- especially while people are staring at you, so I just abandoned that whole signal path and plugged in my backup cable. That solved it for now.

Anyway, I'm also getting over (I hope!) a cold, so my voice was pretty weak and wobbly at first, but after a few songs I felt pretty good, enough to chance "Bridge Over Troubled Water", which went quite well.

It's just an hour time slot, which seems like just enough time to get warmed up, to me. Especially if I screw around with technical difficulties for the first while. My bad.

No comments: