Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Keith at Senior Home - Wednesday, 27May2015

My laryngitis finally subsided enough to let me (try to) sing at my monthly Senior Home gig. I still wasn't convinced that I'd be able to sing well, but I'd already postponed it a week, so I went to give it a try.

And, yes, I was a bit wobbly on the high notes, especially at first, but if anyone could sympathize with wobbly high notes, it was these people. It was a bit embarrassing, but I've played there 3 or 4 times before, and they all like me. And my voice got better as it got warmed up, so by the end, I was fine. To my great relief, since I was starting to wonder if my voice was going to actually come back at all.

Anyway, it went how it usually goes -- me singing my oldest songs, up to about the early 70's, and old folks watching mostly impassively. Except the ones who sing along when they know the songs, and the ones that fall asleep.

Turns out my best sing-along song is "South of the Border" -- the old ladies really like to join in on the "Ay, yi, yi, yi" parts.

One of the ladies who works there popped in from the side door to tell me "You have a beautiful voice!". Naturally, I said, "Thank you!". A few songs later she came back in from the other side door to say the same thing again. And then when I was leaving through their office, she was there and told me a third time. This time I said, "Well, thank you, but you should hear me when I'm not sick!".

No comments: