Saturday, June 03, 2017

K&W in Laguna Beach -- Saturday, 03Jun2017

It was the third of June, but not sleepy nor dusty, since we're not in the Delta. A bit overcast down by the beach, actually, but that just made it less scorching. Lots of friendly people came by. We had a cute little girl with her family, and when I asked the mom if her daughter might know any of my Kids' songs, she replied in a strong accent. I asked where they were from and she said "Russia". I don't know -- with all the election interference stuff going down, is that awkward these days?

Hard to tell, but they were nice and the little girl was having fun, and so was I. Anyway, it's apparently summer enough that we're starting to get foreign visitors, because later on, a trio of nice young ladies came by from Japan. A couple of years ago, I (tried to) learn "Sukiyaki", the most famous (to Americans) Japanese song, just so I could do it if any Japanese tourists came by. It hasn't happened until now, so I knew I had to do it or I'd be mad at myself later on. So I did, and instead, I got to be mad at myself for totally butchering it. I don't know any Japanese, despite my years at Toshiba and many weeks spent in Japan, so I have it written out phonetically, but it's still pretty hard to read and sing it at speed. Oh well -- they were really sweet about it, saying my Japanese was really good, a blindingly white lie if I ever heard one.

We also had a visit from my little superfan from Spain, "Gabby", who first saw me playing four years ago at Spectrum. After that first time, her family brought her by just about every time I played there, and she even once showed up with a (completely unplayable) pink toy guitar which her parents bought her because she wanted to be like me. It was a lucky coincidence that they came by this time in Laguna, since her mom told me that they were due to move back to Barcelona next Tuesday. And just in time for them to pick up the updated Kids' Favorites CD, since I added a bunch of Disney songs to it.

A pretty great night, all around.







No comments: