Monday, March 15, 2004

Songs To Play At Del Lago

My impression is that the crowd at Del Lago are mostly adults, but it's not Leisure World. The complex across the street are just apartments (or condos), not "assisted living", or a nursing home. Some people are there with their school-age kids, but I think most are 50-something -- adult, with grown-up kids so they don't have to stay at home every night anymore.

When I saw Roland and Etienne lately, they were doing a lot more pop stuff (versus the All Torch Song set I'd heard before). The ones I remember are "Twist and Shout", "I've Just Seen a Face" (!), and a cheesy "You've Got a Friend / Somebody To Lean On" medley. Etienne introduced a very large Latino woman who sang a Mexican love (?) song along with Roland on classical guitar, and then a quite passable "Crazy" with Roland back on "honky-tonk" piano. (I'm beginning to think that Roland is a Really Good piano player, and very versatile. Etienne, on the other hand, is way too cheesy for me -- she thinks she's on Broadway, and it's a little much.)

I think the clientele is up for the middle-years songs we have going -- Beatles and James. Even my mom, at 70, is a big James Taylor fan -- she's not looking to hear "Someone To Watch Over Me" all the time. I didn't really learn those songs to have some age-matched songs for people of that bracket -- I learned 'em like Willie and Linda Ronstadt did, 'cuz they're classics, and fun to re-interpret. I would never learn 'em on cheesy jazz piano and try to do/be (no pun intended) Sinatra with 'em. (And, yes, I know that if I'm not *in* the cheese, I can reach out and touch it with "Crying", and some others, but sometimes you just gotta push that edge.)

Anyway, I think it'll be a lot easier to pass our late-60s-to-70s-heavy song list off on 50-somethings than on the 20-somethings we'd be getting at Diedrich.