Monday, March 08, 2004

Tully's solo - 06Mar04

Interesting weekend...

I played at Tully's, solo, 'cuz Warren was busy. It went moderately well. When I got there, there were 4 kids playing cards, sans paid-for drinks, in the "area". I stalled a while, since there was (nearly) no one else in there, but finally Barista Brian asked them to move, which they did. I set up and played some guitar, and they decided to adjourn to somebody's house. I played a few new songs, for practice, to the now-empty shop. Finally, another set of kids came in (5). They were friendly, and apparently into music themselves, and asked for some tunes. An exotic-looking girl asked if I knew "Wicked Game", and professed to know it herself. I said, "Come on up then", which bluff she called! Guitar, mic and all, she launched into it, not too badly. Her friends put money in *my* jar, although I was telling them their mistake there.

Anyway, I got back up and did a few more for 'em. Apparently they had something else to get to (movie?) and left at 8:40. I practiced a little more, and packed up.

Went past "It's a Grind" to see if they were open later than Tully's, and they were. Or at least, still were -- I didn't find an hours sign, but there were 4 couples in there (more than I'd seen at Tully's all night). And not all, or even predominantly Asian. But, it's just too small to play in. Next-next door is a Tea place that was also nearly full, and 8 or 10 people out on the canvas-roofed patio, owing to the nice weather. Might turn into a possible summer place to play.

From there, I went to Del Lago, about 9:30. It was nearly packed! Alex was playing, with a bass player, bongo-guy, and flutist. There were at least 20 people there, and 8 or 10 more outside with over-active children. Jose was thrilled to see me (!), professing to having wanted to call me, but lost my number. Apparently his wife, Lorelei, had just been asking after us a day or two before. I, amazed at the turnout (which did *not* seem to be entirely Alex's fan club), told 'em that we're hip to play there whenever they're open. Jose said he'd check the calendar and give me a call -- I left a card with my numbers on the back.

I listened to Alex for a while. He's OK, and likable, but (to me anyway) the stuff is kinda generic. Strumming and mostly unintelligible singing. I was struck/annoyed that he somehow fills places, and I don't. I'm apparently charisma-impaired. There's an Event Calendar posted, and Jose's got the place booked nearly every Saturday: Alex, Roland and Etienne, Mark Madison, Linda Barbarino (the lady I saw at Moxie Java). I was suddenly *very* frustrated -- I think we're at least as good as any of these, and better than some, but we're consigned to accepting 6 to 10 people in a night and thinking we did pretty good.

I can only surmise that the "play songs people know" strategy is flawed. No one seems to be taking this tack, and everyone is doing better than we are -- including getting call-backs from Diedrich. I'm not sure what to do -- giving it up is one option. Another would be to learn a bunch of obscure songs, based on, apparently, no criteria at all. Best would be to get a night at Del Lago and fill the place. I know how to do the first half of that...