Friday, November 17, 2006

Princess Campout at Oso Lake

A great little campout. This is a new place for us. It used to be a private fishing lake, but it's recently been bequeathed to the Boy Scouts and they're opening it up for camping groups. It's really nice, because it's literally 10 minutes from home, so kids with soccer can get to their games and back, and, in our case, I was able to take Acacia to her Saturday art lesson, go on back, and play the rest of the day.

They have fishing (which we don't do), canoeing (which we missed), archery, and slingshots, which were pretty fun. We've been to other camps that had archery, but it's usually just for the kids -- this time I got to shoot, and it turns out that I'm not half bad, but that bow pulls to the right...

Usually, on Friday nights of the campouts, somebody brings a notebook, a projector, and a sheet to hang, and the kids watch a movie. I always think that we ought to be able to think of something better than that -- they can watch a movie any time. So, I volunteered to do a concert. Some kids (possibly prompted by the dads) made some flattering posters that they enthusiastically waved, and they had some beach balls to bounce around, just like a Real Concert. And between songs, they kept chanting "Four more years!"

On Saturday, the kids added little personal messages and little illustrations of my songs (a dragon, the lollipop tree, some waltzing bears), and gave me the posters to keep. Sweet.

I can't really keep Acacia in the Princess program for yet another year, but I'm gonna miss getting to play for a group of kids around the campfire. I'm wondering if the YMCA can give me some kind of unpaid volunteer staff position that lets me show up and play whenever my schedule allows and the camp isn't too far away, without having to pay the annual Membership fee. I guess I'll check into that as we get closer to the end of the program year this Spring.

No comments: