Thursday, May 31, 2007

K&W at Waterloo Station -- 25May2007

Well, that was different, at least. Waterloo Station is a new coffee shop, just 4 miles from my house. Daleen noticed an article about it when it opened up, and the owner (Suzy) was soliciting "local musicians" to come play. I emailed her, and got a reply from her boyfriend Rick, saying that he knew all about us 'cuz he'd seen us play several times before, and that he'd be happy to have us come in. That was kinda cool -- being "famous"...

A lot of my local friends have never come to see us play, citing "too far" as their reason (or excuse). So I thought that this would be a great place to play 'cuz they could all come out. Luckily (or not) it occurred to me to check the place out in person before I sent out the "come see me" message, 'cuz the place is kinda small. So I sent out the message, but I didn't really push it.

I needn't have worried about my friends overcrowding the place, though -- none came. Not only that, no strangers came either. Well, almost none -- we had one very loud older guy come in and basically take over the place for 45 minutes. We just kind of stood and watched. He didn't even buy anything -- in fact, he was trying to sell some paintings to Suzy. And later on, a guy come in to buy a chocolate croissant, settled for a brownie, and sat and made a few requests and listened for a while.

Other than them, all we had was Suzy and her dad to play for, until boyfriend Rick finally came by towards the end. He's a big British Rock fan, and ran down the list naming lots of songs for us to do. In addition to being the "booker" for Waterloo, he's also a "local musician" playing open mics and gigs at other places, so he knows a lot about being a "bookee". As we were tearing down he and Warren had a long talk about places to check into, which might turn out really useful.

But Suzy (and her dad) and Rick seem to like us and our songs, so we all agreed to (pretend to) blame the lack of attendance on the Memorial Day weekend, and try again at some unspecified future date.

No comments: