Tuesday, October 23, 2007

K&W at Tustin – 20Oct2007

A really good night! The sound was not-so-good, especially at first – some weird echoey muddy sound in/from my guitar, but it seemed to go away over time, unless that was just me getting used to it.

But what really made the night was the attendance of little Anna, our First Fan, literally. I say "little" because when she first started dragging her parents in to see us every chance she could at Tully's, 4 years ago, she was only, I'm guessing, 9? Now she's 13-ish, and not so little anymore. Like I told her, I hope I don't look as much older to her as she does to me!

Frankly, she's changed so much that I didn't recognize her. But her mom looked familiar, and when I asked her if she had any requests, she came right out with "Waltzing With Bears". I said, "You've seen us before, haven't you?", and she said, "At Tully's", which dropped the whole thing into place -- I suddenly knew exactly where I'd seen that not-so-little girl before.

Being an (almost?) teen-ager, Anna is now, of course, much more restrained than she was at 9, but it was still a delight to play for her again. It's always much better to play for someone, anyone, who's really listening, but it was doubly fun to play for an old fan (who's not so old at all!). And her parents (and grandpa?), too.

I guess her being there, and some recent comments on YouTube, conspired to make me tend to pull up some dis-used songs from The Old Days. There's several songs that are still in the book, but we don't do as much as we used to, or as much as we maybe oughtta. That was kinda fun, too.

No comments: