Friday, April 18, 2008

K&W at the Santa Ana Zoo -- 12April2008

Well, *that* didn't go as well as we'd planned. Started off poorly when I got there at 10:30 to find that the portable stage and amplifier that were supposed to be there at 10:00 were nowhere to be seen. So I sat around for 45 minutes, waiting for the stuff so I could start my own set up, and our 11:00 publicized start time was more like 11:45. Old friends Bill and Mary Jane were there on-time at 11, so they sat around waiting. My parents were clever enough to show up late, so they were there just before we started.

I gave my video camera to my dad, and he got a couple of songs, but he wasn't feeling well so they had to go home early. Not that they missed anything -- I was totally "off my game". I don't think I've played that badly in years. Partly, I was tired since we'd played a gig just the night before. I also just felt burned out, somehow. Of course, the new situation was distracting, it was hot and windy, and I always screw up when there are movie cameras around. I could go on making excuses, but, bottom line, I sucked.

My brother showed up a little after my parents left, and took over with my video camera, and Warren got a few songs with his little camera too, but again, garbage in, garbage out. Even the songs with no big mistakes in them are lackadaisical and dull.

Oh well. We'll try again, but without a gig the night before, and see if I can pull out of the dive. Warren, apparently, was playing as well as ever, although even though he could hear himself OK, the cameras couldn't. He must have been getting into it though, 'cuz he broke a string, first time ever, and had to do half the gig with 5.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

While it's true that it wasn't up to the usual level of your playing / singing... if it's any consolation, I think the songs still generally 'went over' pretty well with the attendees. At a couple of points, moms and kids camped out on the lawn specifically to listen.

Let's try it again.