Saturday, May 24, 2008

K&W at Java Joe's -- 22May2008

Well, that was disappointing. Last time we played a Thursday, there were 8-10 people and we had a blast (or I did, anyway) and made $54. I was hoping that this time would build on that, since we played the Open Mic (3 songs) there two nights before to a packed room, and passed out a bunch of mini-flyers, which seemed to be well-received.

But, the place was essentially empty. Jean, a hard-core Regular was there as she always is, playing Scrabble with owner-Chuck, and a disinterested family were there to chat and watch the basketball game, but that was it. Jean's really nice, and she was half listening and asked for a few tunes, but it wasn't really enough reason to drive all the way out there.

The sound was pretty good -- we had our own equipment and it was my favorite sonic environment: total silence, but I prefer it when the silence is broken now and again by some applause...

Still, since we were there anyway, I kind of enjoyed playing, 'cuz it's just fun to play -- especially with the amp and reverb and all. And Chuck snuck a $20 into the tip jar while I wasn't looking, 'cuz he's like that. But Warren is discouraged by how hard it is to do a weeknight gig in the first place, and it's certainly not worth it to either of us if nobody shows. It may have been the threatening rain, or that it was Thursday before Memorial Day weekend, but who knows?

So, we're lined up for one more gig there, on a Friday, which, according to Chuck, will be "jammed". We're pretty obligated, according to Chuck's plan, to play the Tuesday Open Mic before that date, too. Warren's also frustrated by the Open Mics, because the sound is so terrible that he can't tell what he's doing. And those nights are essentially big parties, and only pretty-hard rock penetrates the group, and I don' play dat. This elevates Warren's frustration even more, 'cuz he wants us to play rock all the time, and while that doesn't really work at "real" coffeeshops, it's probably required for this place (which is really, at night, a (wine) bar), on Tuesdays at least, and, no doubt, on Fridays too.

Which means that we're in trouble for that Friday gig. I will, of course, give it a try, and play all my "hardest" songs, but we run out of those pretty quick. They aren't my strength, and not really my interest, and my guitar just doesn't "work" for strumming, and, for that matter, they aren't really appropriate in a bookstore coffeeshop, so I just don't bother to learn that kind of song. Even if I did learn some, I've got no place to practice "pulling them off" in a real-life setting. There's a big difference between my bedroom and a crowded bar...

Naturally, I prefer not to view all this as a shortcoming of mine, but as a mismatch in my capabilities and a gig we probably shouldn't have signed up for. (By horrible coincidence, this is sounding all too much like my work situation of late, where I'm being asked to do things I don't know how to do, and have no interest in doing or learning how to do.) I am pretty worried by it, though, which is odd because I played a pretty big party a few weeks ago in Long Beach, and it seemed to go well, despite my lack of rock-and-roll.

Anyway, we'll give it a shot, and see if we can persuade the audience to want to hear what we've got to play. It may be a disaster, and we'll quit playing weekends there, but maybe there'll be an opportunity to play on weekends (probably solo) when the mood is more mellow.

No comments: