Sunday, June 15, 2008

K&W at the Santa Ana Zoo -- 14Jun2008

Quite nice. This was our third time at the zoo (the second time "out front") and we at least broke the Santa Ana Winds curse. Nice breeze, and set up in the shade. The equipment was "out" this time when I got there, but the too-helpful guy had set it all up in the wrong place. Had to drag the stage platforms to the right place and basically re-rig the whole sound system. Not too bad.

We had plenty, if not lots, of kids'n'parents. Warren likes a few (only) of our kid's songs -- the ones that are written like "real" songs -- and kept hoping that we'd be able to play half for kids, and half for adults. Unfortunately, it's clear that no adults come to the zoo without their kids, so any adults that are nearby are only there for the kids. They don't want us to play to them, they want us to play to their kids. So, I tried to play adult songs, but really couldn't get away with it much. Warren admits that it's inevitable, so if/when I play there again, it'll be just me.

But, I'm not really sure that I want to, either. There were plenty of kids, but they were all really young kids, stroller age up to maybe 3 or 4. My theory is that the older kids know that they're at a zoo, and won't let Mom sit around at the picnic tables -- but the younger ones just do whatever's happening. They don't know enough to know that they ought to be complaining about that.

Anyway, it's pretty hard to play for kids that small -- they don't know any real songs yet. I faced this problem in Princesses, when I wanted to write a Princess song to a tune they'd already know. I went with "Puff, the Magic Dragon", because it's widely known, but also because it's incredibly repetitive, so if you don't know it at the start, you'll know it by the middle.

So, I played my kid's songs, but I don't think that such little kids actually "get it". But, I suppose their parents appreciate it anyway. It's just not as fun for me to play to kids' blank stares. I like playing for Princess age kids that understand and like my stuff for the content.

Playing there again may be a moot point, though. I can't play there if I have a gig at Borders on the same weekend -- the zoo playing time is right between where Friday and Saturday night Borders gigs are, and I just can't play two gigs so close together. I have one no-Borders weekend in July, but I think I might want to keep it free to do family stuff. We'll see.

Anyway, it was pretty fun. We had at least some kids there, all the way through. Played all the kid songs I have, several of 'em twice. I took video again, which looks like it turned out OK, but I haven't had time to clip it up into separate songs yet. The parents almost always stuff a buck in the kid's hand and send them over to drop it in the guitar case, so we did all right. And most of the parents are pretty attentive, and even the blank stares of the toddlers are pretty cute. Maybe I'll go back after all...

No comments: