Sunday, July 06, 2008

Keith at Mission Viejo -- 05July2008

Another quiet, mostly uneventful night. The room was pretty quiet, so the sound seemed good again. But I plumb forgot to bring the video camera.

Just before I started playing, a 13-ish girl sat at a table and was looking at me expectantly. Turns out she's an ex-Princess/Trailmate, and recognized me. I spotted her dad in the magazine racks, and remembered him. After scanning the song list, she came up and asked me if I used to play for the Princesses, and asked me to play "Waltzing With Bears". That was pretty fun. They bought a "Bears" CD on their way out.

I'd been working up "Cruella De Vil" during the previous week, and there were a few kids there later on, so I decided to try it out, since I can never tell if a song is gonna "work" until I've done it in public. I asked the kids if they knew the "101 Dalmatians" movie, and their mom said they had, despite their being too shy to answer the question. So I played it anyway. It seemed to work OK, but it was clear that the middle-aged ladies in the audience got more from it than the kids did. Considering that the movie came out in 1961, it's really a kid song for people in their 50's.

No comments: