Wednesday, December 03, 2008

K&W at Borders Mission Viejo -- 22Nov2008

Pretty good. We had a reasonably attentive crowd, featuring several people who we've seen before (and they, us). They *could*, actually, be coming out specially to see us. A boy can dream, can't he?

"Special Guest Star" Melina joined in again, but this was the first time that she's played when Warren was there. It was a little awkward, since she does essentially what Warren does (play little figures and licks over the top of me), but they worked it out quickly. We had meant to try "Ashokan Farewell" again, but somehow I managed to accidentally take my sheet out of the book in my last clean-out (it was about to break the stand!), so that didn't happen.

There was a period late in the evening, the last 45 minutes or so, when we were hitting on all cylinders, and had a lot of people along. That was really great. I also, inexplicably, learned a Jimi Hendrix song, "The Wind Cries Mary", during the week. It's not exactly up my alley, sound-wise, so I didn't think I'd actually try it in public, but it was feeling good, so I went for it. There wasn't a huge response to it, but no tomatoes, either, so maybe I'll keep it in for a few more tries, anyway.

I also tried out my new "Peace Train", which I had worked up for the (canceled) Brea Downtown gig, and which pretty much bombed here. I didn't play it *that* poorly, but I think it needs a more "loose" crowd/location -- and a bookstore ain't it.

No comments: