Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Keith at Irvine Spectrum -- 04Apr2009

Well, I've been better...

I don't know why, but I was just kind of out of it. Could have been (but *shouldn't* have been) the two week layover (due to the wash-out last weekend), but I've survived longer gaps. Maybe it was just kind of weird to start during daylight, since the time change. That also kind of faked me out, 'cuz it was sunny and warm when I started, so I didn't ask for a heater. By 9:00, though, I was regretting that, since I was so cold my knees were shivering (and I had to fight to keep it out of my voice), and my fingers were too stiff to play well.

I had set up my little movie camera and recorded most of the night, but my voice didn't really warm up until half-way through, and by then my fingers were frozen. So I have bad singing in the first half, and bad playing in the second.

But actually, there were a few good (or, at least, interesting) takes. I clipped 'em out and posted them on You Tube. I did several of my new songs just to try to catch them, and although they're not artistic triumphs, they came out OK. Mostly, they all seem lethargic. I guess I was just tired -- or at least I sure look tired...

Anyway, here are the videos I put up. Hopefully, I'll get better ones next Saturday, and I'll delete these -- so if you're interested, you'd better look soon.
Graceland
I Should Have Known Better
Carolina In My Mind
Yesterday
Your Song
You've Got a Friend

But it was still some fun. I didn't get many real Listeners, but occasionally there was some interest. Right at first, there was a little girl, just 1 or 2 years old, staring right through me like she knew more about me than I did. She wanted to "dance" (i.e., rock back and forth), so I played a few songs for her, with her swaying, and staring with those wise old eyes. And toward the end there was a table-full of kids who were getting into it, and asking for songs.

I did make $46, so I guess I wasn't all bad. But next week, I'll do better.

No comments: