Thursday, April 30, 2009

Trailmate Campout at San Onofre

Now that the weather's nice again, we're having Trailmate campouts again. This one was at San Onofre beach, which is on Camp Pendleton, but we have a retired Marine in our group who was able to get us in.

Because of the exclusivity, despite all the camping we've done, this is the first time we've been to this campground. It's pretty nice, and you get to pitch the tents right there on the sand. This seemed really cool, but it happened to be a new moon, with the attending very high tides, and the first night, the waves came up and almost soaked some of the tents. But, fortunately, not quite.

We had a movie on Friday night, as per tradition, and though I generally frown on this idea, thinking that the girls ought to be doing something that they *can't* do at home, nobody else seems to have that issue, so I join in. I try to bring some "unexpected" movie -- there's no point in bringing "the newest thing", as the kids will have all seen it anyway. So this time I brought "Cocoon", which is "ancient" as far as the kids are concerned, and has a nice message about being kind to old people, like me.

On Saturday, some of the guys took their girls to go skeet shooting on the base, but that doesn't really appeal to me, so we stayed behind. Acacia played in the (freezing) surf with her friends, but Geneva's ankle is still messed up, so she mainly slept late and sat around knitting. It's OK to have a pure decompression weekend once in a while.

On Sunday, some of the guys took their girls horseback riding, but since Geneva can't put her foot in a stirrup, we just headed home at noon, and Acacia went riding with one of the other dads, who then brought her home.

Overall, a pretty good, laid-back, weekend, though it was windy and cold part of the time. I had forgotten my sun hat, so I had to modify a foam dinner plate to act as a brim stuck up under my stocking cap. Fortunately, there were no mirrors for me to see what a dork I looked like. You can check all the pictures, here.

No comments: