Sunday, July 12, 2009

K&W at Irvine Spectrum (MC) - 10July2009

The girl who books the gigs at Irvine Spectrum offered to let us play the "Main Stage" (called, inexplicably, the "Myrtle Court"), one time only, without the usual $50 "setup fee". I've been wondering why other bands would play over there when it chops 50 bucks off of their "take", so we jumped at the chance.

Wow -- it's a lot different. It's basically just a wide spot in the (outdoor) mall, with a long rectangular fountain/pond running down it. They put up a stage at one end of the pond, and there are tables and chairs running along the sides. It's not the Food Court, so the tables fill up with people who are just sitting, or have found some coffee or juice to drink. The traffic, and there's a lot of it, flows around the stage and pond, and the band has the quandary of playing facing west toward the pond and the sitting-people, or facing east toward the flow of transient walking-people.

We decided to play toward the pond -- wrongly, I think now. It seemed like the only actual definable "audience" would be the sitting-people, and it would be rude to play with our backs to them. And they were largely appreciative, but they were also fairly distant, and the "connection" was hard to hold on to. Playing the other direction, we'd be the stone upon which the current breaks, but even if we'd only "captured" a couple of percent of that flow, that'd be a pretty big audience in itself. The video is pretty funny -- since the camera is pointing at the two of us, it catches us playing away, oblivious to the constant traffic flow and social interactions happening behind us. We did capture some of them -- there are a few sit-able planter-boxes back there that had people listening most of the time, but I think we'd'a connected better, and made more in tips, if we'd'a played the other direction. Next time -- if there is one.

The other problem with playing westward was that the sun was shining, hard, right in our faces when we got there. Twice as bad with the reflection off the pond. It was pretty ridiculous at first -- I couldn't see a thing, even with my sunglasses, and it was baking the wood of my guitar and warping it out of tune in nothing flat.

But the sun went down behind a big archway after not-too-long, and it was pleasant the rest of the night. The "hallway" is narrow enough to have a nice reverb effect on the sound, when it was quiet enough to hear it. And we had *lots* of people, who were really "there". It was pretty terrific. I tried to stick to the upbeat songs, but you know I have to throw in a crooner once in a while. And because of recent events, I worked up an acoustic bluesy version of "Billie Jean", which I wasn't so sure about but seemed to go over pretty well.

One odd coincidence: I'd been flipping through the "in-process" songs in my Book the afternoon before, and came upon "California Dreamin'". My chordsheet isn't quite right, and I needed to work up the correct chords for the flute solo section, so I tore it out of the book to work on it. I didn't get to it that afternoon, but, sure enough, somebody asked for it at the gig -- maybe the third time, ever. But I knew exactly where the sheet was -- on the floor in the bedroom, so I knew I couldn't play it. For fun though, I strummed out the first verse from memory before stopping cold and saying, "Nope. I don't know that song" to some scattered laughter.

We started about 6:20 -- stalling in hopes of losing some of that sun -- and had plenty of audience to keep playing past 10, so we just kept on going. Of course, by then my knees were shot, my fingers were hamburgered, and I'd lost the bottom fourth of my vocal range, but whatever, right? But at 10:45 the "house music" came on from the speakers along the walls, and we couldn't compete, so that was our last song.

Tips came in at $42 -- not even enough to have covered the setup fee. This was no doubt mostly on account of playing "backwards". The tip jar was behind us where we couldn't even watch it. I think people are intimidated somewhat by having "the artist" see them putting money in the jar, but they also seem to need the "credit" for having done so. If you're not watching, they don't "need" to tip. Also, the people who were really listening -- at the tables -- were far away from the jar, so they'd mostly just get up and walk away.

But that's OK -- we're not in it for the money. It was a terrific night. We probably played "at" a few thousand people, and "for" several dozen, at least.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great experience... wish we could do it again... not quite sure how...

It was also probably our loudest show ever.

Play 'Billie Jean' again, and send me a song sheet.

- WA