Sunday, October 11, 2009

Keith at Irvine Spectrum -- 10Oct2009

Another great night at Spectrum -- not as good as two weeks ago, but close. Pretty good sound (considering), quite a few sympathetic listeners, and some outright "fans".

It started inauspiciously -- when I got there, the food court was literally empty, not a single person at the tables. It was chilly (compared to previous weeks), and I thought that nobody would show up at all. But as it got darker, it didn't get colder, and the temp seemed appropriate to nighttime activities, and people *did* start to show up.

I played to some indifference at first, as always, but much of the time there was at least someone to play to. And later on, a couple of groups of teens showed up that were open to some fun. I played their requests for a while, then went for my show-stopper, "Don't Stop Believing". When I hit that last "Don't Stop!" and cut off suddenly, they burst into spontaneous "Whooo!"s, shown above. Then we went into "Hey Jude" (by request), and I got some actual participation on the "Na na na na" part at the end. I think it helps that I've been kicking on the harmony box after the first Na na, which I think sounds like people are joining in, and convinces others to do so.

I tried out my newly-worked-up "Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds" again (now that I can play it a little better). It's surprising to me that such a distinctive song sounds OK in my simplified acoustic guitar version. I expected it to flop horribly, but it actually sounds good to me. Check it out on YouTube, here. I love the little trill that the harmony box does on the very last "Ah!".

Conversely, "If You Want To Sing Out", which I can play and sing really close to the original, just kind of lays there in concert. You just never know...

I made $40.40 for the night, plus a single piece of Korean candy, carefully and somehow-significantly laid in front of the tip jar by a cute apparently-Korean girl. I'm not sure of the customs there -- if I eat it, are we married?

No comments: