Friday, February 26, 2010

Keith at Irvine Spectrum -- 20Feb2010

A really great (and lucrative: $49) night. I got there really early and there was nobody in the food court at all. I started setting up and the ice cream bar dude (the store I'm right in front of) wandered out and facetiously asked "So, you gonna fill the house tonight?" I told him I doubted it, but after a while there were plenty of people to play for, and several groups who were getting pretty attached.

I was afraid that after the very bad voice I'd had the night before, that this night would certainly be terrible, but somehow I'd completely recovered and had the best voice that I can remember. Clear and high... I was easily hitting high notes that I usually strain to get to. So much so that I deliberately pulled out "Blackbird", with the high note that I usually make a passing feint at, and hope no one notices. This time, nabbed it.

I got to play my new "Strawberry Fields" several times (I'm liking it). Got a lot of good reception to "Hotel California". Lots of Beatles. And had a real live James Taylor fan to play some of the great but obscure ones for. Lots of little 2-4 year olds this time, for some reason.

Had an actual incident pretty close to heckling, though. Some high school guys were playing around in the fountain, and when I started doing "I'm Yours", the most obnoxious of them decided to "sing (or bellow) along". I just ignored him and kept going, and he gave it up before too long. I guess I'm actually pretty lucky that that's as bad as it gets around here. Good to live in a nice neighborhood.

2 comments:

Roy said...

Love it, Keith. They don't heckle you unless you're any good!

John Johnson said...

"Nabbed it"... heh heh heh.

Hey, monkey boys frequently try to increase their social status by impressing the other young males with what they think is "bold" behavior.

Your daughters can probably explain it to you in more detail.