Thursday, March 04, 2010

Keith at Irvine Spectrum -- 26Feb2010

Another low-key but big-fun night. The sound seems way better these days -- probably because of smarter placement of the monitor speaker. It's tricky, 'cuz you have to be able to hear it, but if it's pointing too much at your mic or guitar, you get feedback. I've tried lots of places, and none have worked very well, until I lately tried putting it on the ground in front of me. This is where everyone else puts it, and, surprise! (not?), it works really well there. Sometimes I think I'm so smart that I'm an idiot.

Not too cold, finally. Lots of teens out and about, some individual packs coming by again and again. Had that thing again, where I can't get anyone to come up and get a song list and make requests off of it, until one group finally does, and when the other groups see them reading the list and requesting, they get jealous and jump up to get their own list. So I go from nobody making requests to having to queue them up, and put people off with "OK, I'll do that one after I get to their one, and their one..." When it rains...

I snapped one of my foot pedals right in two -- I guess I was stepping on it to press the button and kind of lost my balance, so I put my full weight on it. That Pergo flooring stuff I made it out of is really strong and stiff for its thickness, but now I guess I know its limits. Fortunately, I have more at home and it was easy to just make another piece, good as new.

Strangely, exactly $49 again, same as Saturday last week. Which possibly disproves Saturdays being better than Fridays? Or more likely proves that the tip results are essentially random -- or based on factors more important than which day it is, like, oh I don't know, how well I'm playing, and who shows up?

I'm up again next Saturday, but the weather report says it's gonna rain, so maybe not.

No comments: