Monday, March 22, 2010

Keith at Borders South Coast Plaza -- 19Mar2010

Warren couldn't make it this time, so I went solo. It was probably the most responsive crowd I've ever seen there -- maybe my doing; more likely just luck. But I did come up with a new gag to try to get over the biggest hurdle of every gig -- how to get started -- and maybe that explains it a little. I always try to start with a standard-issue "Good evening, ladies and gentlemen..." type intro, but it's frequently too awkward to even do that. It's really hard to just start talking, loudly, into a crowd of people, none of whom is even looking up.

So I came up with this idea to say, "OK, wave if you can hear me in the back." (This is pretty standard, and easy enough to break straight into.) But then, "Good. Now keep waving and say: 'Hi, Keith!'". This is pretty lame, but breaks the ice and starts the self-introduction. And I have to say, it worked. People giggled a little, and I was able, since I had some attention, to keep talking, introduce myself, do the other standard joke about the song lists, and start the first song with some connection already started.

I also started with a different song. Usually I start with "With a Little Help From My Friends", just 'cuz it's easy to play and easy on my voice to get warmed up, and the words are kind of appropriate ("What would you do if I sang out of tune? Would you stand up and walk out on me?"). But I've been having a lot of luck with "Hotel California" lately, so I started with that, and got a pretty huge response -- especially for this place. It's just got a lot more "oomph" -- though I played and sang it poorly, without being warmed and limbered up. Still, probably a keeper.

Anyway, I don't think I've ever had applause after every single song, all night, before, at any Borders. Even when I manage to get them started at the beginning, it usually fades out after a while. But there were some friendly and enthusiastic college kids who stayed interested, and other people showed up and got into the spirit as the time went on. Great night. Only nine bucks, but I'll take attention over cash, any time.

I'd had a really bad cold all week, so I wasn't even sure I'd make it at all, but with enough cough medicine and lemonade, I was able to sing OK, and only had to stop to cough in the middle of one song. I did have a slightly breathy/raspy tone that made me wish I knew some Rod Stewart songs, but I don't. I'd'a sounded great on "Maggie May", though...

3 comments:

John Johnson said...

I don't know whether to call you a "Trouper" or a "Trooper".

Warren said...

This does seem to illustrate the value of connecting with the audience, and it looks like you're making a great research project of it... which is actually starting to pay off...!

Keith said...

I'm still not convinced that anything that I'm doing has more than a few percent effect over the luck of the draw about what kinds of people are there at a given event. But it's still probably worth it to try...