Thursday, December 16, 2010

Keith at Santa's Workshop - 15Dec2010

What a great night! They re-routed the line to see Santa so that it's on the sidewalk, putting the people too far away if I set up on the lawn like usual, so I moved to the in-between "rest area". I set up so that I could play to the head of the line, but that coincidentally put me right in front of some (anchored-down) park furniture -- a bench, two chairs, and a "coffee table". I didn't realize that parents would allow their kids to come and sit there, right near me, but they did, and what an audience!

And a huge turn-out. It's supposed to go from 6-8, but they obviously can't turn people away, so I was playing until 9 when the line finally played out. It moves quite slowly, so I had some of those kids for 2 hours. I played and played, and they danced and sang along and requested songs, some real, some made-up. Sometimes I'd do a song, and they'd all scream, "Do it again!" Even with several "greatest hits" non-Xmas kids' songs mixed in, it was tough not to be too repetitive, with 3 hours to fill, but nobody seemed to mind.

Lots of cute, cute kids to play for. Most of them dressed up for Santa (and the pictures) -- red velvet with white fur trimmed dresses, sequins, sparkly shoes. And it's so fun to say, "I'm gonna play a song now about a dragon -- a magic dragon..." and have some kids shout, "Oooh! 'Puff the Magic Dragon'!" They're so excited to have guessed it! And I got to enlist kids to "help out" with the "...like a lightbulb!" descant for "Rudolph". Everybody sang along on "Jingle Bells". And there are lots of kids who know a full hand-gesture routine for "Up on the Housetop", miming the words "up", "reindeer", "Santa Claus", etc. I love audience participation!

I did work up the guts to put out the card table with the basket of candy and business cards on it, despite being pretty sure that Mister Cranky-Pants was there. All the candy was gone, though nobody seemed to have gotten the implied, stealth, "tip jar" aspect. But I didn't mind at all -- I had a blast. There was a pretty thick cloud cover that might have meant rain, but really only served to keep it merely cold, not freezing, so I didn't even have to play with frozen fingers. What a great night!

And a good thing, too, since the weather report is for rain all the way through the weekend, probably killing my Spectrum gig on Saturday, and the last Santa night on Sunday. Bummer. Now that I got this great setup (accidentally) figured out, I want to do it again!

No comments: