Thursday, January 27, 2011

K&W at Borders South Coast Plaza -- 21Jan2011

I think this was the emptiest I've ever seen this place -- maybe it's Winter Break at UCI, so we didn't have the usual contingency of Calculus, Bio, and Engineering studiers. Not that those kids, with their permanently-embedded iPods are much of an audience anyway...

So it was a pretty quiet night. I had an unusual amount of trouble getting the sound right -- the settings for "outdoors" and "recording at home" apparently aren't conducive for the acoustics of this place.

But I eventually got it worked out, and later in the night some people showed up who seemed to like us. One particular guy asked for lots of "classic rock" songs, including "Southern Cross", but I convinced him to take "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes" instead, 'cuz I think I manage it better. He actually stopped his car to get out and shout something encouraging to us as we were talking later in the parking lot. That was nice.

I did set up a bunch of video cameras, but I was never particularly inspired, so nothing much to glean from the footage.

Some girls way in the back had circled six songs, mostly Beatles, on the Song List and brought it up. I played most of those, and then later, they brought up another List, with six more songs, mostly Beatles again, "written in". I don't know if they were just suggestions of songs I ought to go learn, or if they somehow expected me to just play them. Amusingly, they had written them on the List in the approximate places they'd have to be inserted. Thanks for the alphabetization help, girls!

1 comment:

John Johnson said...

Those Beatles have incredible staying power, don't they? Must be the cool name... who'd want to hear songs by a group called "The Quarrymen".