Sunday, January 09, 2011

Keith at Irvine Spectrum, Myrtle Court-- 23Dec2010

I got to play the Main Stage at Spectrum again, coincidentally exactly a year from the famous hat-stealing gig of 2009. This year I swore to play facing *away* from the fountain, which is also away from any potential audience sitting at the tables along its sides, but at least it doesn't leave my "six" unprotected.

At first it seemed like a huge mistake -- it felt weird to deliberately turn my back on the people at the tables, but after I got started, I was able to almost continuously attract at least a small (and sometimes satisfyingly large) group in the standing-space in (my new) "front", and some lingerers sitting on the bench/planter boxes at either side. I guess that's the way it works -- once you're playing, you attract the attention of the tide of people coming down the corridor. Most go on by, but the ones that like what they hear can stop for a while.

I got lots of families with small kids, many of whom stop to let their kids see what Live Music looks like. I must have played "Rudolph", "Frosty", "Jingle Bells" and "Up On the Housetop" a dozen times each. Of course, having little kids gives me the excuse to play those, but the teenagers who come by while they're playing always join in, either on the main part, or with the "...like a light bulb!" descant on "Rudolph". I guess once you learn it, it's irresistible.

I made $49 in tips -- I'm sure it would have been more, but the arrangement forces people to split into two "streams" around me, so half the people didn't happen to walk by the tip jar. Next year, *two* tip jars.

Fortunately, I'd convinced the Booking Girl that, although her Original Material bands can probably sell enough CDs to cover the $50 Setup Fee, poor widdle me, playing well-liked but "cover" material, entertains the crowd, but doesn't sell enough CDs to afford to pay for the privilege. So she waived the fee, or I'd'a been a buck in the hole for the night.

So it all worked out -- I had a great time, played for a lot of people, made some Christmas money, and I still have my hat.

2 comments:

John Johnson said...

The league of Behatted Buskers were there. You didn't see us. No one ever sees us. But we were there. In the shadows. Guarding against villainy toward one of our brethren. When Monkeyboy appeared we followed him. When he made his move toward you, we struck swiftly and silently. He won't be bothering you again. He won't be bothering anyone again.

Warren said...

Glad for the happy ending. I prefer facing that was too... there's a continuous stream of new faces to play to, and people can get much closer if they like... just the ticket for families with little kids...