Thursday, April 21, 2011

K&W at Borders South Coast Plaza -- Fri, 15Apr2011

We had the usual uninterested group of studying college kids for most of the night. After many frustrating gigs' worth of trying to reach them, this time I just decided that I'd forego that and just play what I wanted to play since it gets the same (non)reaction either way.

And that made it a pretty fun time. We ran through some obscure stuff (e.g. "Waiting"), and some neglected old tunes (e.g. "Down On Yourself"), and some "experimental" stuff (notably Jimi Hendrix's "Little Wing", which I've been poking at to see if there might be some way to pull it off in "my style", with so-far limited success). That one really gives Warren something to sink his teeth into.

We did have a guy come right up front with his little daughter (22 months old), who he claimed "loves music". After a song or two, he asked if we knew "I'm Yours", "her favorite song". You could have fooled me, since her china-doll-cute but accusingly baffled expression didn't change a bit, before or after the song. Still, they gave us a reason to be there for a while.

I've had reason to believe that people can't find the little table with the tip jar on it when I put it over to the side, so this time I put it right in the middle of the room. Unfortunately, that appears to have had no effect whatsoever, since we made exactly two dollars. Made the split-math pretty easy, though.

No comments: