Monday, April 04, 2011

Keith at Irvine Spectrum -- Sun, 03Apr2011

Turns out that there's a Sunday evening shift available at Spectrum that I didn't even know about until recently, and since I couldn't get in on Friday or Saturday, and the Springtime weather has been bringing lots of people out, I thought I'd give it a try.

And it was pretty good. Lots of people out, but it seemed like they were more "busy" and less "cruising" than the usual Saturday night crowd. It was a little tougher to drag people in, but I did OK. Less groups of teens, too. I thought I'd get more young families on a Sunday afternoon (I played 4-8, when the shops close), but didn't really. But it was the first weekend of Spring Break, so maybe that had an effect.

Inspired by Acacia's "Just Dance" game, I decided to learn "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go", due to its almost universal "get up and bounce around" appeal. I figure that a lot of parents of young kids would have been teens in the 80's, and this song will go over with them. And I had a chance to try it out when a young girl wanted to dance (aka "get swung around in a circle") with her mom and aunt, and kept saying "Play another one!" after every dance song I'd play for her. Unfortunately, I completely choked, and played it worse than I've ever played any song in public, ever. I guess it's actually trickier than one day's worth of poking at it qualified me for.

Daleen came by with the dogs and stayed almost the whole night. Her parents showed up, too, and my brother with wife. I just wish I'd'a had a chance to run through a couple of the new songs the day before, but couldn't with all the birthday party setup and teardown. I botched the first half of "Amie" pretty much, but mostly pulled off "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes".

It was interesting playing in the beating down sun, after freezing for so many gigs in a row. But then the sun went down and it got pretty cold up there, as usual. Who says we don't have "weather"?

Anyway, it was fun, and a definite "better than nothing" on weekends when I can't do a Friday or Saturday night. Apparently no one signs up for Sundays (or knows about 'em), so I can probably get in almost anytime. And I made $79, on top of the fun of it, so, yeah, I'll definitely do it again.

No comments: