Monday, August 22, 2011

Keith at Irvine Spectrum -- 20Aug2011

OK, I give up.  I get it -- nobody's out to hear some guy playing music at the mall in the afternoon.  Fortunately, I don't have any more afternoon gigs booked, and now that I'm fully convinced that they're *not*, in fact, "better than nothing", I won't book any more.

I was expecting the new big round stage over the fountain again, but apparently they're reserving the right to decide to just use the old little square one.  Makes sense -- that big one is a lot of trouble, and they'll probably only use it when it's appropriate, either a bigger band, or a "bigger" name band.  That's fine with me.

It was hot, but not miserably so like last time.  And there were a few people out, but it was hopeless to get anything going with them.  I had a brief fun time with one of the many young girl soccer teams that came by, but they took off to go get some overly-sugared juice after only a few songs.

And I had a guy perceptively ask me about the harmony box, and another guy came up and told me that he had been in a folk-song band back in the sixties, but that he'd never learned to fingerpick like me.  It's always fun to talk to other musicians, however briefly.

I did make $20, which is an all-time low, I think, but still not so bad.  Last time I had inexplicably sold almost all of the CDs that I had in stock, so I spent the morning making up a bunch of them, only to sell absolutely none.  Maybe it was 'cuz the fountain stage is out in the flow of traffic?  Probably just the random nature of the thing...

No comments: