Monday, August 01, 2011

Keith at Irvine Spectrum -- Fri, 29Jul2011

A surprisingly quiet night.  Usually Fridays are almost as busy as Saturdays, but nobody showed up this time.  Maybe there was a Big Game on TV?

Anyway, there were still enough nice people there to make it worth doing.  And my brother and his wife came by, as did my wife with the dogs, my daughter, and her friend.

At one point, two teenage girls were up at the table, looking at the list.  My brother started stage-whispering "Play 'Baby'!" at me, which I was confused by -- he probably couldn't tell from behind them, but they were 3 or 4 years too old for that.  The Bieber fans go from 8 or 10 to about 13, but above that they get too cool.  I've had groups of teens actually get up and walk away when I started up that song -- it's a big hit with the right audience, but a double-edged sword.

But it was quiet most of the night, though I seem to have finally stubbled on a setup where I can hear myself without feedback, so that makes it pleasant to just sing.  There was only $48 in the tip jar, which isn't bad, but low for a Summertime Friday.  But later in the evening, a group of people walked by while I was mid-song, and the lady looked at me and mouthed so I could read her lips, "Beautiful".  Made my night.

No comments: