Friday, January 06, 2012

Keith at Laguna Artwalk / Twig -- 05Jan2012

My old friend from high school, Susie, has recently opened a cute gift shop in Laguna Beach, which hosts a city-wide "art walk" every first Thursday. The shops stay open late and people walk from store to store, sampling wine and cheese, and, frequently, live music. I offered (or self-invited) myself to play at Susie's store ("Twig"), not really knowing what to expect, but it was pretty fun.

There are a lot of musicians (of varying quality) playing on the sidewalks in Laguna, and I've tried it a few times with Warren. But there's a (understandable) city ordinance against using amplifiers on the street, so I (A) can't use my harmony box, and (B) can't be heard. People who do play on the street necessarily play as loud as they can, using either multiple guitars, and/or strumming vigorously. I'm not much of a strummer, and feel less than musical when I do so, so it's a problem for me.

But inside a shop, I can use my amp and harmony box, with the trade-off that there's a lot less traffic. It was pretty empty at first, but around 7:00 people started showing up. At one point there were maybe 8 or 10 people in the little shop. It didn't seem like much to me, but Susie was thrilled with this much traffic, which she generously attributed to the music and not the probably-more-responsible Art Walk event.

And people were very friendly. Everybody says hello, and half of them were friends of Susie's from their kids' schools or church or something. And they were appreciative of the music, led by Susie's consistent applause or "Whoo!" at the end of every song, even if she and I were the only ones in the store. Some people even seemed to be staying around to hear more.

The highlight was a young lady, Erica, that Susie's kids had gone to high school with and Susie knew to be a musical-theater singer. We fired up "Part of Your World" from "The Little Mermaid", which I know how to play in the original "girl key", and she did a terrific job with it.

Presumably, this will have been the lightest traffic of any Art Walk, and it'll get better as it gets warmer. I'll definitely be back next month, if only to have somewhere to play that's indoors. It's definitely fun for me, and it's probably a "win" for Susie.

No comments: