Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Keith at Irvine Spectrum -- 23Dec2011

The parking structure was almost completely full, even as early as I got there, but there were hardly any people to play for.  I guess they were all actually *shopping* -- imagine that!  I guess two days before Christmas is the wrong time to be out there...

On the other hand, Spectrum has actually been pretty tough for the last several gigs.  I'd say that I might need to re-think playing there, but it's the only steady gig I've got (and I'm only allowed two gigs a month, at that), so I'll just have to keep going and hope it gets better as it gets warmer.

Not that it was a "bad gig" at all, there were just very few people to play for.  Few of the young families that I usually get, and hardly any roving teens.  But my brother and his wife came, and my daughter and her friend, and my wife, too.  I had one little toddler girl, and since nobody else was listening, I just played for her for a while.  She (and her mom) had fun with the usual "Rudolph" and "Frosty", and she seemed to know that throwing her arms up was required on "Hey!" in "Jingle Bells".  The really cute part was when I started playing "Twinkle Twinkle", she looked up at her mom with delight, while her little hands involuntarily started opening and closing -- the universal sign for "twinkling".

Towards the end, a couple came and were clearly listening, and clapping (albeit all alone) at the end of every song.  I played for them for a long time, but decided to call it at night at 11:00.  They came up and introduced themselves as the couple who post on my Facebook "Keith Comer, Good Music" page -- my (only) actual "fans".  It was really nice to have someone to play for to wrap up the Christmas season for the year.

Somehow I made $80 for the night, so I really shouldn't complain.  There were two twenties, and a ten-and-five folded together, so *somebody* snuck up and delivered some Christmas Spirit, even though nobody seems to have taken any CDs for their generosity.

No comments: