Saturday, February 15, 2014

K&W in Laguna Beach -- Saturday, 15Feb2014

When we got there, Anne the Trumpet Girl was there already. She plays jazz along with backing tracks, and it all sounds like Johnny Carson's Tonight Show band. She's pretty good, I think. Or I guess. Heck, I can't tell.

What's quaint is that she thinks that someone would want to hear that kind of music down on a street corner in a beach town. But she's blonde and cute, and her trumpet case catches some tips one way or the other.

Anyway, she told us she was almost done, so we waited her out. The weather started out nice, but got pretty cold later on. There were lots of people out, but for some reason, I couldn't get very many of them to stop and listen much. We had some people here and there, but never got a real crowd together except once when a little boy stopped to dance and a bunch of people had to stop to watch. That turned into a pretty big party.

A while later some ladies stopped to listen to "Landslide" and when that was over I asked them to pick a song but they wouldn't. ("Oh you're doing just fine!" I get that a lot.) So I asked them if they'd seen that Sparkly Vampire movie, and I played the song from it ("A Thousand Years") which I'd just learned, and it went over really well with them, and other people passing by.

I had had a terrible cold all week, and actually almost didn't go down, but I thought I could manage it if I took enough cough medicine. And I almost did -- I only crashed and burned three songs with coughing fits. But other than that, I was singing pretty well. And despite it seeming like we weren't getting through to anybody, we made some surprisingly good tip money. I guess I was doing better than I thought I was...

No comments: