Saturday, February 01, 2014

K&W in Laguna Beach -- Saturday, 01Feb2014

Another awfully cold night, as you'd expect in February. But people around here just don't prepare for as cold as it gets, so most of them couldn't hang out for a while even if they wanted to.

But we did have quite a few people stop and listen for just a song or two, standing, and in many cases, shivering. Greeter Mikey showed up on his bike, looking more nautical all the time. And Blain, who is apparently independently wealthy and spends his days spinning Frisbees on the beach "for peace", really loves our stuff and stopped on his way home. He never gets tired of my version of "Leaving on a Jet Plane", for some reason.

Some ladies read through the list and decided on "South of the Border", which we used to play all the time, but haven't for years. I was afraid that I'd forgotten how to play its clever "Spanish" bass line, but it came back to me, and sounded pretty great.

And then a lady came up to put in a buck and look at the list, and immediately chose "Alison". I mock-accusingly asked her, "Did you just choose that one 'cuz it's the first one on the list?" She said, "No. I chose it because it's my name." Oops. It's another one I don't do very often, and now the pressure was on even more -- not just a request, but a Special Request. But I rallied and pulled it off just fine.


No comments: