Sunday, May 18, 2014

Keith in Laguna Beach -- Sunday, 18May2014

Found myself with nothing to do on Sunday afternoon, so at about 2:00 I thought I'd go down and see if there was anybody to play to in Laguna.

But the iPad music book is really hard to see in bright sunlight, so I figured I'd print a copy of the most common songs. A couple of hours of editing later, looking for a binder to put them in, I discovered that I already had this bright idea last year, and only really needed to print a dozen or so new songs to add to it. Which I did, but all this screwing around got me down there *much* later than I'd hoped. So late that it wasn't all that sunny anymore and I didn't need the paper book. Oh, well -- I'll have it for next time.

So I got there *much* later than I'd hoped. The Tommies were on the gallery corner, but the ice cream corner was free so I set right up. There were lots of people and tourists out, and I did pretty well. Found a strange coin in the tip jar that turned out to be from Iran, and worth almost four cents.

Toward the evening a possibly tipsy guy came up. He apparently had heard me play "Landslide" by Stevie Nicks before, because he started gushing about my version of it, ostentatiously pulled out a twenty dollar bill, put it in the jar, and asked me to play "some Stevie". I did, and he stood back and told everyone trying to go by that I was playing "his song". When it was over, he came up and told me that he was a studio musician and he used to play with Stevie. Could be true, I suppose.

Then he gushed some more about how great I am, and how I gotta "keep doing what you're doing". That was basically my plan anyway, but thanks for the encouragement. And the twenty.


3 comments:

Warren Allen said...

Twenties are good...!

John Johnson said...

Google Glass... there's one in your future.

Keith said...

Good idea -- it would be cool to be able to look anywhere around the audience and still keep track of the words and chords.