Saturday, August 02, 2014

K&W in Laguna Beach -- Saturday, 02Aug2014

I got down to Laguna at 4:00, but Tom is clearly on to us, and was already on the ice cream side. I'd played the Fingerhut side a few days earlier and found it pretty awful, but thought I'd give Saturday a try anyway. And it was a little better -- more traffic, and less "local color". But still not a lot of people stopping since there's no ice cream, and no bench.

But we had a few nice moments, usually when a parent would stop with a little child. One little girl in pink just danced and danced, to the delight of many other passersby. The family was there for maybe a dozen songs. After a while, the little girl came over and just stood up against my leg. Hiding? Resting? Hard to tell...

Discovered something I hadn't thought of. I made some "Kids' Music" lists with pictures of the associated characters next to the song titles. This lets even the kids that can't read yet find the song they want. But I had a family from Spain come by, and the kids were able to choose the song from Tangled, even though they didn't speak any English. I didn't realize that my lists were "multilingual" by being "nonlingual".

A guy came by with his family that I see all the time at Spectrum. He asked me when I'd be at Spectrum next, and I said, "Never. They changed the way they book it." He sighed heavily and said, "Oh, they have terrible management. I know some people. I'll talk to them." I hope he can get me back in there, but I won't hold my breath.

Around 9:00 the "possible thundershowers" that we'd all discounted actually arrived. We got some sprinkles, then some more, so I laid my plastic-protected song lists over the top of the electronics. But it finally got wet enough that we had to pack up for fear of the guitars and getting electrocuted.

By the time we were completely packed up, though, it had stopped. The Tommies had cleared out too, so I figured, what the heck, and rolled over there to play some more. But I only managed to play two more songs when the battery quit. Oh well.


1 comment:

John Johnson said...

You got sprinkles?
Hey, will you come perform in my neighborhood?