Sunday, September 21, 2014

Keith in Laguna Beach -- Sunday, 21Sept2014

Since Saturday was a bit of a disaster, I thought I'd go down about 7 on Sunday and see if I could salvage the weekend. But when I got there, the young homeless guys were camped out on the bench again, and by the time I got back from parking my car, the Two Guys with Guitars from the night before had appeared. But they had only played for a bit last time, so I sat down to wait them out.

Mikey the Greeter came by with his take-out dinner, and we had a nice talk, but the Guys just wouldn't quit. They're not bad, but it's a bit annoying because they're just acoustic and nobody can hear them, and even then, most of the time they're just practicing or jamming, and not really "entertaining" at all.

So I waited and waited, but they never left. Around 8:30, I finally decided that, since I'd drug all this stuff out there, I'd better go play on the Fingerhut side, just to have played at all.

I set up in my "minimum deployment" mode -- no CDs, songlists, or sign out, 'cuz I was hoping that the Guys would leave and I could roll back over. That never happened, and though I eventually got a songlist out to pass around, I didn't sell any CDs, 'cuz nobody knew I had any.

The good part was that although there wasn't a lot of foot traffic on that side, there was also not much auto traffic behind me, so it was nicely quiet to play in. And I actually got a lot of attention from the passersby. One couple stopped and asked for a couple of songs, and I guess those went well 'cuz they stayed and asked for some more, and some more, interleaved by occasional requests from other people coming up.

One guy asked for "anything by 'The Band'", so I did "The Weight", and he sang along with that one and a few more afterwards. The other couple finally decided that they needed to go home, but the wife suggested that I put an ad for playing parties on Craig's List, which I'd never thought of.

The husband thought I should go try to get in at The Cliff restaurant. I said that I thought they only hired bands that played original material, but he said that they go there all the time and there are lots of cover bands. He said that I needed to talk to "Andrew", and thought that maybe next Saturday he'd come down and somehow hook me up with him. Or maybe convince Andrew to come down and listen.

I just might be getting close to being desperate/brave enough to pursue such a thing.

No comments: