Thursday, July 16, 2015

Keith at Senior Home -- Thursday, 16July2015

Since I forgot last time and got rescheduled almost two weeks later, it seemed like I'd just been there. Everyone says that the old folks won't care (or remember), but I still feel like they have to be getting tired of the same old stuff every time.

But they never show it, of course. They clap politely at any and every song I play. It's tough though because I can't tell which songs they like more than others. Of course, I try to play older songs that they'll know, but even if it's way after "your time", how can you not know, say, "Yesterday"?

So I've kind of given up trying to stick to songs that they'll definitely know, and am just doing songs that are Big Hits, even if they're not from the 50's or older.

Which has allowed me to loosen up, along with just getting accustomed to the place and people. I'm also trying to mix in more up (or at least medium) tempo songs. Not sure it worked, though -- I still had a half-dozen people fast asleep in their chairs before the third song. (Can't say I blame 'em -- I like me a little afternoon nap these days too, and I'm quite a bit younger than most of these folks.)

Anyway, I felt like this was my best, and most fun, gig there so far. I started off with crowd-pleaser "Country Roads", knocked 'em dead with "Georgia On My Mind", got to play "Cool Water" (which sounds amazing with the harmony box, but I never get to play it anywhere else), and finished with a big, flashy, "Bridge Over Trouble Water". Big fun.

No comments: