Saturday, June 04, 2005

KC - RSM 03Jun05

Strange evening, but OK. When I got there, there was a table set up in front of the café section, with a little sign advertising a book signing by a local guy author. In convenient, but probably OK, so I start setting up. The café guy lets me get mostly done, then tells me that I need to talk to Tom, the Event Manager. I was afraid that he was gonna send me home, but although Tom's a little exasperated that Bob booked me without regard for his (apparently) locally booked book signing schedule, he's OK for me to go on, since I don't need his PA system, and he knows he can trust me to play quietly until the book guy is gone.

In fact, Tom was incredulous when I mentioned that the only discernable rule that Bob has is not to book a single act twice in the same store in the same (calendar) month. (I'm already kind of cheating that rule since I tend to get booked once a month as "Keith & Warren" and once as just Keith.) But Tom said "People love you guys! We've never gotten a complaint, and gotten lots of compliments", and wants me/us in there as often as we'll come. He gave me his email address and phone number, and said that anytime we want to play, just let him know!

I'm not sure how that gibes with the schedule that's forced on him by Bob, though. Obviously, Bob can't book, say, "Marina V", while Tom books K&W on the same night. By the looks of the recent schedule, there aren't many Fri-or-Saturday nights that aren't Bob-booked. But, the upcoming June 24 and 25 seem to be empty, and I'm free, except for the Folkie Jam, so maybe I'll take him up on the offer.

Anyway, I finished setting up, and played, really quietly, for the first hour and a half. So quietly in fact, that I was sure no one could hear me, which is remarkably freeing. But there was a core group of three or four solo ladies there that were reading, then clapping, so I guess they could hear better than I thought. It also provided an unprecedented opportunity to play all the really soft and slow ones, without the guilt of being too boring...

Of the several people who told me that they would, or might, come out, none did. Except Acacia's teacher, "Mrs. Smiggs", who hadn't said she was coming, but showed up with her daughter around 9:10 and seemed to be both amazed and entertained.

And although I was prepared to switch to a mic for the guitar if it started cutting out again, it worked perfectly all night. I was hoping it would cut out and give me a chance to try to isolate the problem, but it's wise to that plan...

No comments: