Tuesday, June 07, 2005

New PC!

Since I've been working for PC manufacturing companies for the last 20-odd years, it's been a while since I've had to buy a PC. But the machines in the house are getting pretty sad, so I broke down and bought a new desktop (or, more correctly, "mini-tower") from Dell (who else, anymore?). I got the chance to set it up on Saturday, and I gotta say it went easier than I expected. That Windows XP (my first encounter with it (!)) works pretty good -- found all the stuff, set up pretty easy. But there's always a "but"...

I use Windows 2000 at work, which has the whole "multiple user partitions" thing going, but there's only me on the thing, so it's not an issue. At home, the XP is cool to be able to give each user a different wallpaper, and, more useful, their own program icons and browser shortcuts. (Here comes the "but"...) I don't know how to let multiple users access the same programs. Some applications' install programs ask, "Just you, or everybody?", but most don't seem to.

I installed Google's "Picassa", to use to catalog the huge library of family pictures we have. I installed it in Daleen's "partition", and it searched out all ten zillion pictures and created its database. But when I go to my partition, I have the program icon on my desktop, but there's no pictures. (Admittedly, this allows for different people to have different picture libraries, but it should allow the opposite as well.) So, to see the pictures, I either have to re-index the whole thing (takes a long time, and creates a huge database file), or log in as Daleen.

Of course, I tried to "fool" it, by going to my file manager and moving the database files from Daleen's directory to the "All Users" directory, but it wasn't fooled (still no pictures from my account).

Maybe I'll figure it out eventually, but the whole point is that this is supposed to be dummy-proof. I shouldn't have to (a) try to trick it, or (b) try to figure it out.

Oh, well. Overall, I'm pretty happy with it. More complaints later, no doubt.

No comments: