Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Geneva, Driving!

Yes, it's hard to believe, but Geneva turned 15-and-a-half in June, so we signed her up for a 4-day Driver Ed class, and she passed the test, and she now has her Learner's Permit.

On Sunday, I needed some stuff at Home Depot, so I let her drive me there -- first time. The class included some post-test driving instruction, so she'd had 2 hours with her teacher, and claimed she was doing really well. And she is doing OK, with a few exceptions. She as a little trouble staying in the middle of her lane, but she'll get that, I’m sure.

Her worst mistake was that she had apparently heard the part about being able to turn right on red lights, but missed the part about stopping first. We pulled up to an intersection to make a right turn, and the light was red, and she slowed down, apparently (to me) to go ahead and stop. I was about to launch into the "Look this way, now look that way" speech, but she just rolled right on around the corner!

I was so shocked that it took me a while to realize that she was just gonna go on around. Then, to make matters worse, when I recovered my senses and started yelling "Stop! Stop! Stop!", she just *didn't*! So we had a *very* stern talk about "When I say 'Stop!', you *stop*!", and went on to Home Depot.

Then, on the way home, she rolled on around another red-light right-turn! This time I realized that she just didn't know she was *supposed* to stop at red lights, so I made that part perfectly clear. Very, very, clear.

It occurred to me that the basic implied contract that I, the dad, have with Society is that I'll sit next to her, and I won't let her hurt anybody. That seems simple enough, but it assumes that she'll do what I tell her to do, when I tell her to do it. Apparently, Society has leaped to a untenable conclusion on that one, 'cuz she appears to be as capable of ignoring me yelling "Stop!" as she is when I tell her to clean up her room...

But she's pretty aware of what she's into, and I'm sure she'll be fine. I was basically proud of her, and a little sad, 'cuz it's certainly one of those "They grow up so fast" moments...

No comments: