Sunday, July 29, 2007

Keith solo at Yorba Linda -- 28July2007

Another fun night. There were lots of people in the comfy chairs already when I got there, and I was able to get them involved right off the bat. I got lots of requests from around the room, and a lady right up front asked for "Something in the Way She Moves", and yes, the James Taylor version. I gladly started playing it, and her little round husband took her hand, and they stood up and started slow dancing! Right there in the bookstore. It's not even exactly a "slow" song, but they faked it. Other than little kids, I think that's the first time I've gotten dancing...

After I got set up, I went and found the manager, and asked her if she had any special instructions for me. She asked me to stop playing around 10, and I tried to get that extended by telling her that it only takes me 20 minutes to tear down the stuff, but she wanted to be able to make the "we're closing" announcements without having to blast over me, which I suppose makes sense. I also asked if she needed me to take a break, but she couldn't imagine why she'd want that, though she said that "most of 'em do". I said that I'd just rather play through, and she was OK with that.

I did *not* ask her if she was sick of my "same songs" repertoire -- a (probably bogus) complaint we've gotten lately. But I did try to play some of the lesser-done ones from the list, when I wasn't playing requests. The requests tend to be the more popular ones, and force the set to be the "same songs", so it's hard to take the complaint seriously. Clearly the ever-changing audience doesn't care -- if there's a real complainer, it must have been either a "regular" or an employee. Neither of whom ought to have a right to complain about that -- what am I supposed to do, learn 30 new songs every month?

Anyway, it was a nice, mellow, fun gig. I was singing and playing well. My newly-repaired amp sounds good, though I should have noted where I had the reverb controls set at -- I have no idea how to adjust those back to sound right. But I tweaked that and the volume levels between songs and eventually got it close enough.

Toward the end, a pair of older couples (you know, my age) came in, clearly in a good mood. They asked for several songs, laughed at my jokes, and took a business card to check the schedule for next time. I wish they'd have gotten there sooner. And almost last, I worked in "Mother Goose", 'cuz there was a guy down front who knew it, and he was properly impressed -- he even came up and said so at the end, and recommended another Tull song, "Moths", which I've never heard of, but should look up.

And as I was out in the parking lot loading the amp into my trunk to leave, a lady pulled past me, rolled down her window, and yelled "Good job tonight!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Talk about a happy ending!

Very good to read that the mgr did not require a Break. This complaint also appears to be either bogus or specific to a particular store.

- WA