Monday, July 09, 2007

K&W at South Coast Plaza -- 06July2007

Nice. SCP is definitely my favorite place to play these days. It's the only one where we commonly get that "shoppers going by, hearing the music, and joining in for a while" effect that we're looking for. It tends to start out with a lot of Studying Kids, but as the evening goes on, some older people come by and some of 'em like our stuff, and they stop to listen. We had a couple of sets of those this time -- friendly, appreciative, involved people.

And that helps me two ways. I sing and play better when I know somebody cares, and if somebody's listening, I can talk between the songs. Or, possibly more accurately, if nobody's listening, I can't. And, of course, if somebody's listening and I'm talking, it tends to better involve other people, and it all snowballs into a fun night for us, and, hopefully, them too.

What was really surprising was three Asian kids that were there when we got there, with their notebook computers, working away on something. They never really looked up or joined in at all, but after probably 2 hours, they got up to leave, and they bought a pair of CDs on their way out! I sure didn't expect *that*.

No comments: