Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Keith at the Street Painting Festival -- 02May2009

I got a last minute invitation to play at the City of Mission Viejo's 11th annual "Street Painting Festival", where they divide up the parking lot at the Community Center and do chalk art, with an attendant "festival" of booths with art-related stuff for sale. They also put up a stage and have entertainment, and the lady who signed me up to play for Santa Claus last December thought I might want to come down.

It was kind of cool because they had a stage inside a tent/pavilion, 150 chairs, and a big sound system with a real Sound Guy. I guess that's a good thing, because it sounded really weird from where I was (I wonder what that says about the self-mixed sound I'm usually churning out). But everyone said it sounded good out in the audience.

Well, I say "everyone", but it was a pretty disappointing turnout, other than my friends and family who came out in almost-record numbers. My mom, dad, and sister came, and Daleen and Acacia (with puppy Annabelle). Daleen's dog-walking buddy and her husband came, and a pair of Daleen's students with their mom. And old-friend Sandy from my Toshiba days. Unfortunately, that made up at least half of the "crowd". I've played to fewer people of course, but I guess a coffeeshop with 10 people in it looks different than 150 chairs with 10 people in them.

Anyway, it was pretty fun. I had worked up an actual Set List, 'cuz I knew I had limited time (1:30), and wanted to show off my best stuff, and didn't want to waste time flipping through the book like I usually do. I also stacked the deck with my most solid songs, which generally means the ones I've been playing a while. Unfortunately, my mom wanted to hear some of the new stuff. Sorry, Mom.

I did inexplicably play one new one, "Country Road", just 'cuz I'm getting the hang of the tricky guitar part, and it's fun to try to land it. It made a pretty good Big Finish as the Unexpectedly Last Song, when they cut me off early to set up the stage for the Irish Dancing girls that followed me. It seemed terribly short to me, 'cuz it was more like an hour and ten, and I'm used to playing at least 3 hours, and time flies when you're having fun. It probably seemed interminable to the audience...

Anyway, the event coordinator thought I was great, so I guess she'll be inviting me to more of these kinds of things. In 5 weeks I'll be playing at the American Cancer Society's big Relay for Life at the local college. A friend of mine says we'll be playing for "a big crowd" there, so we'll see. This was probably a good rehearsal/preview of how that one will go.

No comments: